Behind-the-Camera of Photojournalist Nic Coury in Monterey County, California.

January 24, 2009

The 5-Minute Portrait.

On Thursday and Friday I went over the the Eco-Farm conference to shoot some photos for our annual "Food and Wine" cover.

Deborah Koons Garcia is an author, movie producer and organic food advocate. Oh and she's Jerry Garcia's widow.


Nikon D700, 20-35 f/2.8D @ 30mm, ISO 800, f/5, 1/200 sec

Annie Somerville is the executive chef at Greens Restaurant in San Francisco. 


Nikon D700, 70-200 f/2.8 @ 200mm, ISO 1600, f/8, 1/250 sec

For both of these portraits, I had about 5-10 minutes of walking about with them while two reporters from the Weekly interviewed each for their respective stories. I had to location spot as we walked and we would stop if I found a place and nice background. The D700 really performs nicely for the constantly changing scenes and lighting I come across on such short notice. My D2H definitely doesn't handle it as well, though I know that camera well enough to make do.

Also, my 28-70 f/2.8 arrived yesterday. Sweet.

~ nic

2 comments:

  1. What do you mean about the D2H not being able to handle it? I'm aiming to get a D2Hs, do you know anything about that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Eric,

    The D2H (as much as I love it) doesn't have the most accurate auto WB and has noisy images at ISO's greater than 1000 or so, but if you shoot RAW you can overcome both.

    I still use the D2H for daytime sports as a second body and it performs flawlessly. The D2H actually has better AF than the D2Hs.

    ReplyDelete