Behind-the-Camera of Photojournalist Nic Coury in Monterey County, California.

January 27, 2009

Film?

Monterey "serial artist" Ed Leeper at his home in Pacific Grove. (Fuji Neopan 1600).

I still shoot a handful of film and I like to. It's organic and forces me to consider my shot in its framing, composition and exposures. This line of thinking transfers to my digital shooting too by forcing me to re-look at my shots every time.

This is my film setup: A Nikon F100, 50mm f/1.4 in my favorite brown Domke shoulder bag. It's completed with  handfuls of black-and-white film, usually Fuji Acros 100, Neopan 1600, Kodak Tri-X and T-Max 400 and various color films. 



I think especially with some of the high-contrast black-and-white films (I like to push 400 to 1600 for an extra punch) helps create a starkness to the look and helps gives a certain emotion to the photo.

Below are a few shots taken over the last year.


A saxophone player at the 2008 Monterey Jazz Festival. (Fuji Neopan 1600).


A local poet reads during open mic night at East Village Coffee Lounge. (Kodak T-Max 400 pushed to 1600).

Friends outside of East Village Coffee Lounge in Monterey, Calif. (Kodak T-Max 400 pushed to 1600).


Miriam enjoys a laugh inside her cafe in Monterey, Calif. (Kodak T-Max 400 pushed to 1600).

~ nic

No comments:

Post a Comment