Behind-the-Camera of Photojournalist Nic Coury in Monterey County, California.

March 4, 2009

The Chief.



This year, the city of Salinas has been hit with a lot of gang-related violence, including nine homicides and countless shootings. The two major players are Mayor Donohue and police chief Ortega (below).

I had a chance to shoot him today in a non-press conference setting (I literally had 5 minutes due to his secretary double-booking him today). I used a single shoot-thru umbrella with an SB-800 with a ND gel at 1/4 power zoomed at 50mm. My Camera was set at f/5.6 and 1/125 sec at 200 ISO.

I wanted a dark, serious but not hopelessness photo of the chief . Basically he's retiring soon, but it still a forefront on the gang violence. I wanted to capture him in a strong sense, but still keep it mellow. I think I achieved that at some level.

He has a very strong presence as a figure and his hands are powerful looking in the longer portraits. He has a great face to photograph as well.

Editing in Lightroom and CS3.

~ nic

No comments:

Post a Comment