Behind-the-Camera of Photojournalist Nic Coury in Monterey County, California.

August 21, 2009

Monterey Car Week 2009 - Gordon McCall.


Above is the cover shot I made for our August 13, 2009 issue. It was a story Gordon McCall, who made one of the cooler, more exclusive, car week events. It's probably one of my favorite cover shots all year.

Ultimately it was my art director's favorite photo, because he looks like a kid in the shot, which is where his love of cars comes from. He even had his original set of Matchbox cars in a glass case!

I did a simple lighting setup. For some of the shots I used a lone SB-800 through a white umbrella, ranging from 1/2 to 1/16 power, triggered via a Pocketwizard.

For some of the other shots, I used the SB-800 as a commander to trigger an SB-600 through the umbrella, using Nikon's Creative Lighting System (CLS), which is a neat feature.



It was funny it turned out this way, because prior to the shoot I had a wild idea of different colored strobes under a handful of cars and Gordon wearing sunglasses looking really hip (he still does look cool, just in a different way).



All in all, it was a very successful shoot and Gordon was great to work with. His little garage space was full of cool, old posters he had shot and neat cars. By the way, the ride he is sitting in is a 1964 Shelby 289 Cobra....

~ nic

No comments:

Post a Comment