Behind-the-Camera of Photojournalist Nic Coury in Monterey County, California.

December 19, 2009

Photos of the Year: 2009

self-portrait.

I shot a lot of cool and interesting things this year with the Monterey County Weekly and photographNic.

I pushed myself with my work to make compelling, story-telling images, which hopefully would affect how people thought about the world around them and attempt to better it.

The news front offered nearly 30 gang-related homicides in Salinas, election of the the first African-American president and political corruption on every level of government (the local levels in Monterey County felt it strong in some places...). I photographed that.

Arts, entertainment and features photos offered a break from that, while numerous sports offered great action and reaction in trying times. Hell, I even shot the NFL.

If you head over to photographNic. on Facebook page, there are full galleries of my favorite pictures of the year in:

(Below, I've linked the photos to news stories or past blog entries where you can find more information on the subjects).

Jose Soto lost his son "Junebug" to gang violence in Salinas.

Musician Ryan Bisio.


Jazz bass prodigy Esperanza Spalding opened the 2009 Monterey Jazz Festival with a bang.



Dual Slalom at the 2009 Sea Otter Classic at Laguna Seca.


I'll in 2010 with hopefully more than 2010 clicks on the camera shutter and much more experience and love for photojournalism.

It's been a wild ride thus far.

Cheers,

~ nic

No comments:

Post a Comment