Behind-the-Camera of Photojournalist Nic Coury in Monterey County, California.

April 7, 2010

Sports: Shadow Play in Skateboarding

I put a sequence together, but my lack of being able to do it fully correctly forced me to make it look like old b/w film where the frames got shot together and overlaid in development.

I get antsy if I don't shoot something for a while, especially action.

So with a semi-free afternoon and some nice weather, I wandered down to the Monterey skate park on Lake El Estero and looked for some new ways to photograph something that is relatively easy to get cool action with.

I looked for cool shadows and light that accentuated the riders and made for some cool photos.

Shooting into the sun forced the shadows to elongate, exaggerating the skater.

One photo I've had in mind for a while has been to frame a skateboarder with a paddleboat on the lake. I kind of did it here.

Stopping down my camera made for some warm, "sliced" light.


There was a fence behind me that created light strips on the ground and I like how it fell onto this smiley face sticker with the riders in the background.

~ nic

1 comment:

  1. Awesome pics! I really love Skateboarding. Skate boarding its risky , adventure, arts sports. Thanks for sharing my heart. I also share my Skateboard Graphics

    ReplyDelete