Behind-the-Camera of Photojournalist Nic Coury in Monterey County, California.

September 3, 2011

5-Minute Portrait: Composer Philip Glass


The other night I had the distinct pleasure of photographing avant-garde composer Philip Glass in Big Sur.

His ensemble had performed a live score to the 1931 horror classic "Dracula" with Bela Legosi.

Afterwards, I had a very quick photo shoot with Mr. Glass and basically was told he would step in, I would snap a few pictures and that was that. I made it happen.

With one light through an umbrella off to the left, I shot the above portrait with my favorite 85mm f/1.4 wide open to blow out the christmas lights in the tree behind him and desaturated the colors a bit in Photoshop to tone it up a bit. 

I like it, because in a way, Mr. Glass sort of looks like Dracula a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment