Behind-the-Camera of Photojournalist Nic Coury in Monterey County, California.

August 3, 2012

2012 Red Bull U.S. Grand Moto Prix

Yamaha's Ben Spies dives into turn 4 on Friday. Specialized Bicycles bought this photo to use, because they sponsor Spies and he's a big fan of bicycle racing.

Well my favorite weekend of the year has come and gone: the Red Bull U.S. Moto Grand Prix at Laguna Seca in Monterey.

Last year, I made my name known a bit with my crash photo of Jorge Lorenzo.

This year was not as notable, but I was able to network with folks and meet up with a lot of good friends who were in town to shoot the races.

I gave my dad and my brother-in-law a pair of tickets for Saturday to watch qualifying practice. I think they really enjoyed it. I love the sport and it's really cool to watch a guy strapped to bike speeding out of a corner, hitting speeds of nearly 175 mph. It's hard to explain it to people who haven't seen it. The noise, the smell and the sight are something just really cool.

Below are a few of my favorites from the weekend.

I'll be flying out to Indianapolis in a week to cover my second Indy Grand Prix.

Photos to come.


Yamaha's Jorge Lorenzo smashed the circuit record during qualifying on Saturday afternoon.

A rear view of the infamous "Corkscrew" at turn 8.

Blake Young (79) beat out Josh Herrin by 2/100th of a second during the AMA Superbike race.

Ducati's Nicky Hayden passes LCR Honda's Stefan Bradl in turn 9 during the GP race on Sunday.

A crash in the AMA Supersport race at turn 3 on Saturday.

Ducati's Valentino Rossi in turn 4 on Friday. I tried to get a little super-wide blur going on here...

Honda's Casey Stoner exiting the "Corkscrew" at turn 8. This is one of my favorite compositions of the weekend.

The AMA Superbike exits the start/finish straight for the first time on Sunday.

Rossi leans into the very banked turn 5. I love this angle with the tire marks.

Toni Elias crashes at turn 2 after riding for the injured Hector Barbera on the Pramac Ducati during the second lap of Sunday's MotoGP race.

AMA Superbike riders careen over turn 1 on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment