Behind-the-Camera of Photojournalist Nic Coury in Monterey County, California.

October 27, 2013

Lou Reed Passes.


Lou Reed, one of my artistic heroes passed away today. I had the distinct pleasure of photographing his set when he played at my college nearly 10 years ago. It was by far the best show of my life and still has been.

Reed's music and his work with The Velvet Underground got me through a lot of tough times. "New Age" is one of my favorite songs of all time and the warm electric guitar intro of "Oh! Sweet Nuthin'" is always comforting and soothing. The album "White Light/White Heat" blows me away every time and takes me to a very weird, but great place.

As one of English professors Dr. James Cushing said when I interviewed him for the article I wrote in college prior to Reed's show, With The Velvet Underground, one enters into a dark, dangerous street that has somehow been made safe by guitars."

Here's the piece I wrote about the show:http://mustangdaily.net/yearsofsurrealisminonenight/

Thanks for all the good music and inspiration for my own art, Lou.

No comments:

Post a Comment